MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center is seeking a full-time Neonatal Nurse Practitioner to join our level III 23-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with flex duties in the normal newborn nursery. Along with a neonatologist, you will assume the medical care of high risk, premature and sick newborns, as well as normal newborn on an as-needed basis. Attend high-risk deliveries, perform neonatal resuscitation, stabilize and initiate management of premature and/or ill newborns including initial intubation, ventilation, and placement of umbilical lines. Able to perform these duties independently and discuss subsequent plans of care with the neonatologist. As a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner at MedStar Franklin Square, you can expect:
- A flexible schedule
- A competitive salary
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid malpractice insurance
- Generous paid time off
- CME leave and CME allowance
- Retirement plan – 403-B with % employer match
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as an educator by teaching parents, families and other health team members on a formal and informal basis.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Develops patient care management plans under the direction of the Neonatologist and/or pediatric consultant and in collaboration with nursing and social services. Participates in consultation requests from residents and private pediatricians.
- Facilitates ongoing communication among the parents, Neonatologists, attending physicians, residents, nurses, and social workers in regard to patient management plans.
- In the absence of Neonatologist or in-house pediatric consultant, attends high-risk deliveries and manages resuscitation and stabilization of newborns.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs case management duties in the NICU, including arranging transfer to alternate facilities depending on level of care, coordination of any durable medical equipment needs for NICU infants at the time of discharge, utilization review activities including daily collection and documentation of patient acuity information, and interaction with multiple insurance company utilization review departments. Establishment and coordination of home healthcare professionals post-discharge.
- Signs in/out rounds, work rounds and social rounds, carries out physical exam orders for all NICU Nursery infants regular and unplanned procedures, documents plans for non-Neonatologist patients, and discharges summary documentation.
Be the Nurse Practitioner you were meant to be, here at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center. To learn more about this position or to apply, please send a CV to Nicole Whaley at (register or log in to show contact information).
- EDUCATION: Graduation from a Nurse Practitioner program approved by the Maryland State Board Examiners of Nurses.
- EXPERIENCE: 2 years NICU nursing experience.
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: Registration with the Maryland State Board Examiners of Nurses.
- SKILLS: Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.