MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, a proud member of MedStar Health, provides many medical and healthcare services to patients and is one of the top 25 community teaching hospitals in the United States. Our surgery department employs a team of highly trained surgeons and clinicians to provide patients with a plethora of surgical options, including minimally invasive and laparoscopic surgery and numerous complex surgeries as well. Our surgical specialists share a common goal: creating a patient experience dedicated to superior quality, safety, satisfaction, and the best possible outcomes. The department of surgery at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center has a unique opportunity for an experienced Nurse Practitioner to join our team. The qualified Nurse Practitioner will have successfully completed a first assist course and have first assist experience in general surgery. Shape your future in health care in the kind of setting that’s right for you. Become part of an organization that welcomes your experience, input and leadership— as a clinician and healthcare expert.
This Nurse Practitioner position offers you the opportunity to work alongside our expert surgeons providing exceptional patient care to our surgical patients. This is a full time position with rotating shifts, including some on-call responsibility, one summer and one winter holiday.
As a new Nurse Practitioner at MedStar Franklin Square, you can expect:
- A competitive salary
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid malpractice insurance
- Generous paid time off
- CME leave and CME allowance
- Retirement plan – 403-B with % employer match
Job Summary - Assumes total nursing care of specific patients under the direction of physician. Follows established nursing standards, procedures, and practices and gives specific patient care directions to nursing and other staff.
- Education/Training - Graduation from a Nurse Practitioner program approved by the Maryland State Board Examiners of Nurses. Completion of first assist Nurse Practitioner course.
- Experience - 2 years primary care experience. Experience in first assist.
- License/Certification/Registration - Registration with the Maryland State Board Examiners of Nurses.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities - Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Arranges for patients' ordered diagnostic and therapeutic services.
- Assists physicians with examinations, procedures, and other processes related to direct patient care.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable, and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with hospital standards.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical records. Maintains all required reports, records, statistics, etc.
- Monitors medical condition and/or emotional stability of patient and reports changes to physician.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs basic nursing procedures including thermal applications, non-sterile soaks, application of simple dressing, perennial care, and running tests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prepares and maintains records of patient charges.
- Prepares patients for scheduled procedures to assist in patient assessment.
- Provides direct patient care/evaluates outcomes, consults with other specialists as required, and adjusts nursing care processes as indicated to ensure optimal patient care.
- Provides preventive healthcare services to long-term patients and arranges consultations and referrals.
- Writes initial nursing histories, assesses patients' conditions, and develops individual care plans for patients assigned to the unit/Center.