Are you looking for a new and exciting position working in healthcare? AbsoluteCARE, an innovative and growing Patient Centered Medical Center is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Nurse Practitioner to provide disease and medication related education, including self-management support and strategies for behavioral change in patients with chronic medical conditions. The Integrated Health Educator will be responsible for providing appropriate assessments, education and strategies for patient with multiple chronic illnesses or highly complex care in an integrated setting. This position works in collaboration with our multidisciplinary team to provide knowledge and the critical support needed to address barriers to care and successful outcomes. This position requires strong organization skills, exceptional attention to detail, flexibility and a strong passion for educating and promoting patient’s ability to improve their health.
Job Duties Include:
The health educator identifies the educational health needs of patients in a supportive role with healthcare providers and nursing staff, improving patient health and wellness.
- Facilitates learning by gaining understanding of patient’s ability to learn, cultural and religious practices, emotional barriers, desire and motivation to learn, physical and/or cognitive limitations, language barriers, and readiness to learn
- Promote healthy lifestyles and counsel on avoiding harmful behaviors
- Individualize patient education information for patients by evaluating available brochures, pamphlets, printed materials, website references and other educational resources to enhance patient understanding
- Documents patient care services by completing charting in electronic health records
- Establishes patient educational visits by maintaining ongoing relationship with patient and health care provider
- Continuously reassess methods to tailor and enhance patient specific needs for learning
- Maximizes care skills by increasing patient awareness to medical conditions to empower patients
- Counsel patients on adherence to medications, medical treatments and risks associated with non-compliance
- Reinforce compliance with medications, medical treatments and identify barriers to adherence and work with patients to resolve barriers
- Assist patients in understanding medications, medical conditions to improve patient adherence outcomes
- Assist and motivate patients in understanding medication regimen and provide assistance in completing medication pill trays
- Discuss medical conditions and disease states with patients to improve understanding of medical
- Educate patient on high risk behaviors and counsel patients on risk reduction strategies, negotiation strategies and practices
- Provided supportive services to improve patient health and wellness through education on medical conditions, medications, and adherence
- Provide a scope of medical conditions to improve patient knowledge and awareness include (Diabetes, Hypertension, Asthma, COPD, Heart Disease, HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, Tobacco Use, Drug/Alcohol Abuse, Cardiovascular Risk Factors, High Risk Sexual Behavior, Nutrition/Diet, Medical Treatments, Risk Reduction, Medication Awareness, STI Prevention, and Stigma Reduction)
- Identify and recommend patients who may benefit from detailed nutritional assessment and dietary planning. Counsel patients on healthy weight goals, discuss weight ranges, nutrition/diet
- Identify and recommend patients who may benefit from social work services, peer counseling services, dietitian/nutritional services, behavioral health services
- Counsel patients to improve understanding disease pathology, testing and diagnosis, disease progression, treatment options, disease management
- Educate patients on medication starts, medication changes, to include dosing, frequency, interactions, side effects, adherence and goals of treatment
- Makes recommendations for simplification of medication regimens and prescribes medications as needed per the established treatment plans and protocols
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to interact with and be a part of a multidisciplinary and integrated team within a Patient Centered Medical Home model of care. Enthusiasm for teamwork and collaboration is critical.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to modify communication to ensure patient comprehension.
- Working knowledge of HIV/AIDS, Viral hepatitis, diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, tobacco use, drug/alcohol abuse, cardiovascular risk factors, high risk sexual behavior, STI prevention, stigma reduction.
- Skill and enthusiasm at connecting with undeserved patients and helping encourage them toward greater health.
- Familiarity with medically complex patients and the urban population.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Nurse Practitioner with current applicable license in the state of Pennsylvania
- 2 - 4 years' experience in comparable role