Inpatient Physician Assistant – MedStar Harbor Hospital
MedStar Harbor Hospital, a proud member of MedStar Health, is a mainstay in the Baltimore community, serving patients from Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel, Baltimore and Howard counties. We currently have a full time opening for an Inpatient Physician Assistant to work in our surgical department. Shape your future in health care in the kind of setting that’s right for you. Become part of an organization that welcomes your experience, input and leadership— as a clinician and healthcare expert.
This position offers you the opportunity to work on a surgical unit in a small community hospital but have access to the resources provided by a large healthcare system. In this inpatient setting, you will have a set Monday-Friday, 7am – 3:30 pm schedule and a rotating on-call schedule.
As a new Surgical Physician Assistant at MedStar Harbor Hospital, you can expect:
- A competitive salary and $10,000 signing bonus
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid malpractice insurance
- Generous paid time off
- CME leave and CME allowance
- Retirement plan – 403-B with % employer match
Some primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Develops treatment plan and discusses proposed course of treatment with patient's attending physician and other health care team members as appropriate including consults consultants and referrals.
- Functions under surgeon's direction as surgical first assistant. Assists in necessary preparations prior to and after surgery.
- Monitors patients and communicates significant patient findings or changes in patients' status to the appropriate physician.
- Obtains detailed and accurate history, performs physical examinations, and reviews medical records to assess patients' health status.
- Performs emergency lifesaving procedures as appropriate.
- Performs necessary rounds independently or with the attending physician. Performs procedures as appropriate for patient care. Writes appropriate order sets including medications.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
To qualify for this position, the Physician Assistant must have:
- Education/Training - Graduation from a Physician Assistant Program accredited by ARC-PA (Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant). Bachelors degree; Masters degree preferred.
- Experience – No experience required. 2 years of experience or 1 year post graduate surgical residency highly preferred.
- License/Certification/Registration - NCCPA (National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants) certification. Current license with the Maryland Board of Physicians. Current BLS (Basic Life Support)/ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) certifications.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities - Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.