We are seeking an experienced and hard-working Physician Assistant (PA-C) or Nurse Practitioner (CRNP) to work in the medical departments at the York County Prison located in York, PA. In this role the PA or NP will be performing physical examinations on all newly incarcerated inmates/patients, as well as evaluating sick inmates and presenting your observations to the attending physician.
You will be responsible for performing a variety of duties such as suturing and administering injections and medications, drawing blood samples, and evaluate of diagnostic findings.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring complete, accurate and timely medical entries are made for each inmate/patient contact
- Providing counseling and education on common medical problems
- Performing histories and physicals on all newly committed inmates/patients in accordance with NCCHC/ACA Standards, facility requirements, and PCM policies and procedures
- Complying with standards of care in accordance with NCCHC/ACA and accepted healthcare standards
- Developing and conducting in-service education programs according to annual in-service calendar, as assigned by PCM Medical Director and/or Administrator
- Reviewing inmate/patient records to determine health status and initiate necessary treatment
- Screening inmate/patient sick call requests to determine appropriate follow up care
- Evaluating inmate/patients at sick call for common complaints
- Ordering appropriate laboratory tests and X-rays
- Ordering specialty consultations when indicated
- Providing other services as required at the request of the PCM Medical Director and/or Administrator
- Providing ongoing, continuous care for inmates/patients with chronic medical problems such as asthma, hypertension, and diabetes
- Collecting specimens for, and carrying out commonly performed blood, urine, and stool analyses and cultures
- Evaluating and initiating treatment in emergency situations such as cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, hemorrhage, burns, and injuries
- Prescribing therapeutic modalities such as medications and diets in accordance with regulations.
PrimeCare believes in offering a competitive compensation and benefits package to their employees. Standard benefits for full-time employees include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability options, Generous PTO, 401k with match, and a flexible spending account.
Correctional healthcare provides a challenging and exciting world of opportunities for medical professionals today. In correctional healthcare, employees are provided the opportunity to apply their hands-on assessment and clinical skills on a day-to-day basis. Correctional healthcare is similar to working in an emergency room or a clinic. Each day is both challenging and rewarding in Correctional Healthcare.
PrimeCare is dedicated to its employees and provides the knowledge and training to administer premier healthcare in the correctional environment.
Now is the time to join the exciting and challenging world of correctional healthcare!
This position is exciting and fast paced, and as such we must have someone who is able to multi-task well and has excellent time management skills. They must also have the ability to work independently and be comfortable with making patient diagnosis on their own.
Other requirements for the PA or NP position include:
- Licensed to practice as a PA or NP in the state in which the facility is located
- At least 2 years of experience.
- Graduate of a medical approved physician assistant or nurse practitioner program
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are vital
- Strong clinical skills are a must