Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Mental Health Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant to join our team of healthcare professionals in Huttonsville, WV.
Under direct supervision of the appropriate Wexford Manager, and clinical supervision of the facility and/or Regional Psychiatrist, an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner or Physician’s Assistant for Mental Health shall provide psychiatric evaluation and treatment to offender patients, as well as clinical consultation to nurses, mental health professionals and others. Utilizes electronic medical record system as applicable throughout the scope of duties and responsibilities.
- The Mental Health NP/PA conducts Psychiatric Evaluations and provides Psychiatric treatment to incarcerated offenders in accordance with standard practice guidelines.
- Prescribe psychotropic medication to offenders in accordance with standard practice guidelines.
- Monitor offender’s response to treatment, with special attention to any adverse side effects.
- Conducts psychoeducational groups and/or individual inmate/patient education regarding main effects and side effects of psychotropic medication and other relevant content domains.
- Perform AIMS and metabolic assessments and interpret laboratory results in order to monitor medical and psychiatric conditions.
- When necessary, place offenders on the appropriate level of Crisis Watch status.
- When necessary, order the placement of an offender in restraints in accordance with the relevant Administrative Directive.
- Directs other less qualified health care employees in the delivery of care.
- Assigns, supervises, directs and trains other health care personnel in their duties concerning patient care, personal hygiene, sanitation, etc.
- Ensures proper medical practices are observed.
- Examines for, recognizes and interprets symptoms of patient conditions.
- Participates in and assists in remedial measures and technical decisions based on sound medical practice and knowledge.
- Ensures appropriate supplies necessary for performance of duties are available.
- Makes regular rounds in the infirmary, cell houses, and in segregation units.
- Reviews historical information about the offender; reviews the current information in the chart; interviews the offender; conducts a mental status exam; and diagnoses using the current version of DSM and provides treatment utilizing evidence-based practices.
- Completes forms and reports required by IDOC Mental Health Administrative Directives and the IDOC Manual of Mental Health Standard Operating Procedures.
- Complies with all provisions of IDOC Mental Health Administrative Directives, the IDOC Manual of Mental Health Standard Operating Procedures, facility-based Institutional Directives and Wexford Health Sources policies and procedures. Enforces written policies and procedures of Wexford Health, the Health Care Unit and the facility.
- Utilizes the SOAP charting format to document pertinent patient information in chronological order in the health record and maintains POMR format.
- Orders appropriate diagnostic tests and procedures to effectively diagnose and treat the patients’ health condition.
- Initiates referrals to other members of the health care team.
- Encourages patient compliance with treatment, especially prescribed mediation regimen, and counsels patients regarding all facets of health care maintenance.
- Establishes individualized treatment plans for patient psychiatric care in accordance with relevant IDOC Administrative Directives and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Completes required amount of C.E.U.’s and maintains RN/ARNP/PA licensure.
- Maintains the confidentiality of offender records.
- Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to administrative and clinical supervisors.
- Assists with the orientation of new employees as requested or assigned.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, performs other duties as required or assigned.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
This Physician Assistant job opening last updated on 04/20/2023. Contact the employer using the Apply Online button or the information on this posting and mention you saw this job posting on PAJobSite.com.
Standard medical setting within a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmate patients, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Currently licensed as NP or PA in the state of Illinois.
- Current CPR certification.
- Psychiatric nurse certification.
EDUCATION: Certification from an accredited college/university as an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician’s Assistant.
- 2 years’ experience as a NP/PA treating psychiatric diagnoses within the last 5 years.
- Prior experience with use of electronic medical record system preferred.
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: N/A
CORE PURPOSE:To revolutionize health services, exceeding the ever-changing expectations of our clientsCORE VALUES:"R.A.I.S.E. the Standard"Responsive & innovative partner: Wexford Health listens to client needs and is quick to take action, offering new and alternative solutions that address the unique requirements of our clients and our industry.Adaptability & efficiency: Wexford Health is nimble and flexible, offering our clients dynamic, cost-effective solutions in response to ever-changing conditions and expectations.Integrity & ethics: Ethical conduct is part of the foundation of Wexfor...Click here to view the full company profile and all jobs posted by this company